How can I get medical treatment and not be charged?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get medical treatment and not be charged?

I got hurt at work. Followed company
procedures. Adjuster, took statement,
and it is currently under
investigation. I was told I have to get
medical care or they drop the claim.
However, the adjuster won t approve
visits. The physical therapist will not
see me without paymepayments until the
claim is approved or denied. I don’t
know what to do.

Asked on August 17, 2017 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't get free medical treatment unless you find someone voluntarily willing to provide it for free; the law does not require medical care providers to provide care for free. You may have to pay out of pocket, or if you can't, see if you earn a low enough amount as to be able to qualify for Medicaid. Or if you feel the adjuster is incorrectly or improperly denying payment when he should be authorizing it, you could sue your employer (you sue the employer, not their insurer) if you feel the employer was at fault in causing the injury--if you sue and win, you can get compensation, such as payment for medical bills, but this will take time (months, usually), so you'd need to find some way to pay the bills for the care you need in the interim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption