Should I sue the individuals or the company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I sue the individuals or the company?

If employees of a Canadian company made negative opinionated
statements to an Exec at my US company were not true . Should
I sue the individuals or company? I would like to prove they
were being malicious in an attempt to damage my reputation.

Asked on August 14, 2017 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An opinion is not actionable, or something you can sue over: it is not defamation. Defamation is a provably false factual assertion which damages your reputation, such as that you stole or committed a crime, when you did not; such a provably false factual statement may well be defamation and could be something you could sue about. But you write these were "opinionated" statements. An opinion, not matter how hurtful is not defamation, and everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice it. Thus, if the statements were anything like that they though you were "untrustworthy" or "greedy" or "incompetent", etc., those are simply opinions and you cannot take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption