How can I get a neighbor arrested for repeatedly trespassing

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a neighbor arrested for repeatedly trespassing

The neighbor is told to stay off the
property numerous times and still
repeatedly trespassed

Asked on May 16, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The sheriff should arrest him if he is repeatedly trespassing. If the sheriff won't, try going over the head of the officer(s) you have spoken to: to the sheriff him/herself, if you've been talking to deputies; to the county executive if the sheriff is not doing what he/she should.
Also try contacting other law enforcement who may have jurisdiction, to see if they can help: e.g. municipal police, if any; state police.
If all the above fails, hire a lawyer to help you get a restraining order in chancery court against him: a restraining order should compel law enforcement to arrest him if he violates the terms of the order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption