How can I get a copy of my dad’s Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a copy of my dad’s Will?

My father passed away this year my stepmother and I have never had a good relationship. Since he has passed, she has not mentioned one word about any monies properties inheritance or anything. She doesn’t even answer my phone calls or respond to my texts anymore, so how can I find out if my dad left anything to me and my brothers?

Asked on October 16, 2016 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can see if a his Will was filed yet with the probate court in the county in which he died. If so, it is now a matter of public record and you anyone can get a copy of it. Otherwise, as somone who would inherit if there was no was no Will, you are an "interested party" which means that you can request a copy from the executor, probably your stepmother. If she says that there is no Will, then as one of your father's heirs, you have a statutory right to inherit a portion of his estate pursuant to state "intestacy" statutes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption