How to insure that my father’s estate does not end in a probate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to insure that my father’s estate does not end in a probate?

My father is 76 years old and is still legally married to his second wife. However, they filed for divorce 10 years ago but she would not sign the papers. They have not lived together since that time. My father has a house that her purchased before his many years before his second marriage. There is another property that is paid in full and his wife spouse is been residing in it. The final property was purchased about 3 years ago and is also is paid in full. He wants me, his daughter, to have that home since I am the one who has been residing with him and taking care of him. He has only his name on the deed or title of the home. He has never told his wife that he purchased this house since he has not spoken with her in 10 years and does not want to. Would you advise just adding my name to the title at the County Clerk’s office? Would that ensure that in the event of his death that none of the other family members could attempt to take it or have it sold?

Asked on October 16, 2016 under Estate Planning, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Community property is property acquired during marriage.  Each spouse has a one half interest in the community property.
Separate property is property acquired before marriage or after the marriage ends.  A spouse has no claim to the other spouse's separate property.
Although your father's second wife did not sign the divorce documents, they are separated with no intent to reunite. Therefore, the house in which you and your father reside is your father's separate property since it was purchased after your father and ex were separated with no intent to reunite which means that the ex has no claim to it.
Since you don't want that house to go through probate, your father could transfer the house to you now by a quitclaim deed.  A quitclaim deed will release your father's entire right, title, and interest in the house to you.  A quitclaim deed must be signed in the presence of a notary.  It becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption