Non compete

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Non compete

I have been in this industry for over 25 years, the last 10 with my current employer. This employer wants me to sign a non-compete contract now. I am considering opening my own business in the same industry. I have not signed the non-compete form. Does this employer have any legal basis to come after me if I decide to leave and start my own company?

Asked on May 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Until and unless you sign a non-compete, they cannot take action against you for starting your own competing company--unless that is, you do so by taking or misappropriating proprietary or confidential business information from them to do so (i.e. you can't take and use their customer list for your own business, because that list is their property). Once you sign a noncompete, it is contractually enforceable (since that is what it is: a contract) against you, as per its plain terms. 
If you refuse to sign, they can terminate you, so you need to decide if you are ready to leave and strike out on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption