How can I find out my husband’s pension balance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out my husband’s pension balance?

We’ve been married for 23 years. and are trying to do an uncontested divorce.

He has agreed to split 50/50 of his pension; he has been teaching 18 years so far. He has put a specific dollar amount in the divorce proposal saying it’s half,

however the dollar amount seems low to me based on what a couple of people I have asked advice of have told me. What do I do?

Asked on November 26, 2018 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If he won't voluntarily provide you with a recent statement, you'd have to subpoena the information/documentation from the company managing his pension. Doing so, however, may result in having to convert your uncontested divorce into a contested one, so that you can use the legal mechanisms of discovery, such as a subpoena, or a document production request to him forcing him to turn over his statement(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption