How can i dismiss a speeding ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can i dismiss a speeding ticket?

I was clocked doing 55 mph in 25 mph zone. It was in North Bergen, N.J. on
16th in Kennedy. How can i fight this ticket? Ive read things on asking for
calibration records and what not. Its my first court date and im just not sure
what to do.

Asked on November 2, 2016 under General Practice, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can ask for records regarding the calibration of the radar/laser gun and the police cruiser's speedometer (if he clocked you that way, rather than by radar), and also about the officer's radar/laer training. In theory, if you show a fault or omission in calibration or training, the ticket will be dismissed. But the reason I write "in theory" in that in my experience with traffic offenses in New Jersey, I have *never* seen someone win a case on this basis: the simple fact is, the police properly maintain and calibrate their equipment, and they are properly trained in its use.
You will likely have much better luck with negotiating a plea than "fighting" the case. The prosecutor will talk to you pre-trial. If you have a clean or good record otherwise; ideally have some explanation for why you were speeding (e.g. keeping up with traffic); and are properly humble, respectful, and polite, it is very likely that the prosecutor will offer you the opportunity to plead to a lesser offense (e.g. a lower speed), with a lesser fine and fewer points.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption