How can I contest a medical billif thereno proof that service has been received?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I contest a medical billif thereno proof that service has been received?

I am uninsured/self pay, so I am very careful about what procedures I approve and always ask for copies for myself, which to date has not caused any problems. A radiology and nuclear medicine company was contracted (assumed at this point) by a local hospital to read my CT scan and billed me accordingly. I called the aforementioned company and asked for a copy of their report and they refused. Now the debt has been turned over to a collection agency and I still have not received a copy of the report. What are my options?

Asked on April 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are being contacted by a third-party collection agency (not the original company which claims to have done the work and which claimed you owed it money), you have the right to request, in writing, that they provide proof of the debt. Indeed, you have a number of important rights against third party debt collectors or collection agencies under the "Fair Debt Collections Practices Act," and I've inserted a link to the text of the act below. Note that most of your rights, you have to assert or request in writing.

More generally, to collect money from you, they will have to sue you; and at trial, they would have to prove the existence and amount of the alleged debt.

Here is the link:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption