Someone cashed my hisbands paycheck

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Someone cashed my hisbands paycheck

My husband was told his paycheck was mailed out on a Wednesday. By Monday he had not received his paycheck and contacted his boss. Wednesday morning his boss contacted him and said he checked his bank, and that the check had already been cashed, but they could not track it yet as it seems it was not cashed at a bank, but possibly a party store or something like that. What would be the next steps to take? Is his boss obligated to issue a new check, or should we file a police report?

Asked on December 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the check was mailed out to the address your husband told the employer to mail it to, then the employer's liability or resposibility for the check basically ended when the employer put the check in the mail. If someone then intercepted or stole it, the employer is not responsible for that. Since the check was cashed after being mailed out, the employer has no more obligation to re-pay your husband than it would have if he had cashed the check and then had the money stolen from him. Your husband needs to file a police report and hope the thief is found, to get the money from him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption