What should I do if I have a single-person S-Corp but it looks like I will be relocating shortly to another state?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I have a single-person S-Corp but it looks like I will be relocating shortly to another state?

I have lived and worked on consulting gigs here; now I will be relocating shortly to another state on a new assignment. When that ends, I will have to again relocate to where the next assignment takes me. What is the best advice regarding my corporation in a scenario such as this? I want to stick with the S-Corp structure.

Asked on December 15, 2014 under Business Law, New Jersey


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Being an S-Corp. is really just a filing status with the IRS.  You can have a single-person LLC with S-Corp filing status, or a Corporation with S-Corp filing status (as opposed to a C-Corp).  If you have an LLC, you can probably file to do business in the new state as a foreign company.  If you are a corporation incorporated in Delaware, for example, it does not matter where you physically move the headquarters, so long as you keep your corporate filings up to date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption