Can I still register a trademark without having a business but under my name and use it later for my product line?

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still register a trademark without having a business but under my name and use it later for my product line?

I’d like to register my trademark but have not yet formed a company (LLC or S-Corp).

Asked on February 3, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an individual can register a trademark; you could then transfer it (e.g. give it to or sell it to) a corporation or LLC you create. Be aware that you have to actually be using the mark in commerce (e.g. selling under it) or be shortly (within 6 months) to be using it in commerce to register it; you cannot register marks for potential future use unless you are about to start using it. (And if you fail to start using it within that time frame, you won't get the registration.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption