What to do if I paid my son’s insurance premium but was denied coverage anyway?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I paid my son’s insurance premium but was denied coverage anyway?

I renewed my son’s insurance on 10/31 and gave them payment for 2 months. The insurance company cashed my check on 11/20. On 12/10, I found out from the pharmacy that my son’s insurance was terminated. I contacted the insurance company and inquired about the problem. I was informed that coverage was cancelled because they did not process my application however, my payment was processed and I was paid up until the following month. The insurance company never informed that there was a problem yet they still cashed my check. Is this illegal what they did?

I have since then had coverage reinstated and the insurance company has admitted that it was an internal error.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Insurance Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You write that the coverage was reinstated and the company admitted that  this was an internal error; in that case, there is nothing to do, since there is no harm. (Even when something is illegal, the law only gives you compensation when there is some harm, loss, injury, etc.)
That said, the answer is no: if they accept your premiums, you would be covered for the period of time covered by the premiums, so long as you (or the other insured; e..g. your son) did not breach the terms of the insurance policy. (A breach generally allows them to treat the coverage as terminated.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption