Can I sue if I have a lease vehicle that was repossessed due to an error by my insurance agent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue if I have a lease vehicle that was repossessed due to an error by my insurance agent?

My insurance agent got me policy that was sold to me to protect a leased vehicle but my lessor was provided no copy of insurance, and subsequently repossessed my vehicle for no insurance. this has cost me almost $700 and embarrassment at work as it happened in front of co-workers and it wasn’t my fault.

Asked on December 9, 2015 under Insurance Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if the insurance agent was negligent in not providing a copy of the insurance to the lessor, and that negligence cost you money, you can sue him (e.g. in small claims court) for the money he cost you. You can't sue for embarrassment, however--that is not a "loss" the courts compensate you for. You can only sue for the actual monetary loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption