What can I do if I can’t get a refund from a company that I bought an item from?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I can’t get a refund from a company that I bought an item from?

I purchased an item on-line, from a company. However, I was not happy with the product and returned the item per the company’s return policy 5 months ago. Yet despite numerous attempts to contact the company waiting for the refund, it never was posted back to my account. I was once able to speak with an associate 3 months ago who indicated that they could not return the money but would have to return the item instead. I agreed. However, I still have not seen anything. And once again, attempts to contact the company have been unsuccessful. How do I start a suit to either recover my money, or the item?

Asked on February 6, 2015 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you complied with a return/refund policy, they should have to compensate yo uas per the policy. If they won't, you may be able to recover via a lawsuit for breach of contract and/or breach of warranty. However, since all you can recover is the value of the object and not, for example, attorney's fees, there is a good chance that you would spend more on the suit than it is worth, especially if you are suing an out-of-state company, which is always more expensive and complex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption