What is the law regarding providing professional services in the US from abroad?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding providing professional services in the US from abroad?

I’m a foreign nurse, graduated from a US nursing school and registered as a RN in a US state. I’m not a US citizen and getting a green card or a visa is not my option at this point. If I tele-work (to consult and all) from abroad but provide service as a US nurse, it it legal under US immigration law? Are there any conditions to be legal, such as the location of the company I would work for?

Asked on December 7, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about as to what you want to do, there would be nothing illegal for you to provide professional services in the United States abroad. Such happens all the time when matters are outsourced. For example when I have computer problems I frequently am on the telephone with someone in India giving me technical support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption