If I just filed my Chapter 7 forms, is it OK for me to register a business name?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just filed my Chapter 7 forms, is it OK for me to register a business name?

I ant to get the ball rolling on a small record label for a band Im in. There will be no profits before the bankruptcy is complete (if ever). It is just a formality to protect our band/label name and such. Can the bankruptcy court take my .com or somehow disengage my registered business name?

Asked on October 16, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Assets acquired after a bankruptcy is filed are usually post-petition and thus, not subject to the bankruptcy court.  However, in the field of " intellectual property", I would tread carefully and await the discharge, just to make sure.  3 months shouldn't slow you down that much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption