Wht o do about a boat sale that fell through?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht o do about a boat sale that fell through?

I have my boat at a marina. They are brokering the boat for sale. I was told there were repairs made to the boat that were requested by the purchaser. The man then backed out of the sale and the marina refunded his deposit without my knowledge and now want me to pay for the repairs. What can I do?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First you need to read the presumed written contract for the sale of your boat to the third party to see if you were actually in contract and if so, did the seller have a legal basis to back out of the deal. If not, your options are to pay for the repairs made, sell the boat to a third party and then sue the buyer who backed out of the deal for any difference in what you had a contract for and what you received.

I suggest that you consult further with a contracts attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption