What to do if I sold a used boat for $2600 “as is” and it started and ran when I had it but the people who bought it say the motor is bad?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I sold a used boat for $2600 “as is” and it started and ran when I had it but the people who bought it say the motor is bad?

They want me to refund their money or they are going to seek legal action. Do they have a case?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, they do not have a case and it sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one on you.  First, they had the option to take this to a boat mechanic to look it over to ensure nothing is wrong or to identify the problems.  Second, they bought it "as is," which means no warranties.  It is, essentially, buyer beware.  They may or may not have made a bad deal.  Just make sure you kept all of your advertisements and paperwork.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption