Harassment/Complaints from possible neighbor. California

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Harassment/Complaints from possible neighbor. California

I have a question regarding harassment at my apartment. I never make much
noise and usually study as a full time student. The other night I talked to my gf for
hours on the phone. Then received loud bangs at my door. If it is a nut-job
neighbor that is acting angry/rude. Is it possible for me to press charges for
harassment after explaining to them that they are not welcome at my door again. I
did not throw any parties or make more noise that my voice on the phone with my
gf late at night. Thank you.

Asked on February 10, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Simply banging on your door and being rude to you is not a criminal act under your state's law. You would need a repetitive course or pattern of conduct (i.e. doing this repeatedly) with an intent to harass you, or the making of criminal threats (e.g. of violence) to make this criminal.
Complain to your landlord. A tenant may be evicted for disturbing others ("disorderly conduct") after having received a warning from the landlord to not do so, and landlords have an obligation to take reasonable steps (such as warning and if necessary evicting disruptive tenants) to protect tenant's "quiet enjoyment" of their premises. You landlord may be able to help you--and if they will not even try, that could provide a basis for you to terminate your lease and move out early (if you want) for the breach of you quiet enjoyment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption