What can I do if I paid a wedding photographer who has yet to give me my pictures after almost 10 months?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I paid a wedding photographer who has yet to give me my pictures after almost 10 months?

I hired a photographer last year for my wedding. I signed a contract with him and paid him in full, $2,500. His contract stated guaranteed that he would be done with all editing, photos and video, within 6 months. He is obviously behind won’t return any phone calls or emails. I still have his contract on file I just don’t know what to do.

Asked on April 7, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for breach of contract. In that suit, you could seek the pictures or the return of the money you paid him. (It would be easiest to sue for the money only, then settle for the pictures; a lawsuit directly seeking a court order that he turn over the pictures is procedurally a little more complicated). A lawsuit is, unfortuantely, the only way to force someone to honor contractual obligations. If you are suing just for the money, as recommended, you could file in small claims court and act as your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption