Is there any way for a beneficiary of an estate to get emergency funds in advance?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way for a beneficiary of an estate to get emergency funds in advance?

The Will has been probated all have signed off except one sibling.

Asked on July 27, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on the facts that are specific to the estate being probated.  What you want to know is if you can receive a partial distribution of your share of the estate.  Sometimes that answer to that question is a big yes.  As long as the personal representative of the estate - who is a fiduciary - can set aside the funds necessary for taxes, fees (legal fees) etc., and there is enough left over to partially distribute then there should be no problem.  Here, though, you indicate that one of your siblings has not agreed to what ever document you indicate the others have signed off on.  Is it because that sibling is going to contest the estate?  Then is would not be prudent for the personal representative to distribute any funds until he or she knows that the matter is settled.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption