When I finish my cosmetology course and get certified, will I be able to successfully apply for a work permit?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When I finish my cosmetology course and get certified, will I be able to successfully apply for a work permit?

I am about to be an international student in a cosmetology course at an accredited college. I will be applying for an student visa and I also hope to apply for a social security number so that I will be able to take the licensing exam. At the end of the program, I will be certified by the state board of cosmetology to practice.

Asked on January 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Because cosmetology is not a profession that typically requires a bachelor's degree, even when you complete your course of study and are licensed, you are most likely not going to be able to get a work visa because typically for a work visa the job must be in a specialty occupation and a specialty occupation is the kind that requires a bachelor's degree at a minimum.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption