What if I got clocked speeding by one officer but got the ticket from another officer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if I got clocked speeding by one officer but got the ticket from another officer?

I got pulled over for speeding in a school zone. The cop that pulled me over and issued the ticket was not the officer who supposedly clocked my speed. I saw an officer in the median facing the traffic I was in, then 1/4 mile up the road was the officer that pulled me over. I heard that the officer who did the clocking is supposed to issue the ticket.

Asked on February 19, 2016 under General Practice, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no legal requirement that the officer who clocked you actually issue the ticket, so long as her passed accurate information on to his colleague. The only real issue is whether the information is correct and reliable, not the name or identity of the officer issuing the ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption