Can I get a new license in one state if my old one was revoked in another?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a new license in one state if my old one was revoked in another?

My license was revoked for 5 years for DWI’s. I am able to get it back in about 2 years. I moved tabout 6 months ago and read that they do not take your license for as long of a period as my former state of residence. What are the chances of me getting a new license if applied for now?

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your former driver's license has been revoked per a court order due to some criminal conviction, the chances of you getting a driver's license in a state where the conviction did not happen is remote. The reason is that under the data base system utilized by all departments of motor vehicles in this country, people in one state will be able to cross reference your name in other states to see if there are any restrictions against you getting a driver's license.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption