What can I do if I was fired for a supposed racial slur?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was fired for a supposed racial slur?

I was discussing how I put 2 things together to make it work and used the


Asked on February 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Have you ever heard the expression, "One man's ceiling is another man's floor"? In other words, what you considered a type of compliment was taken a racial slur comment by your employer. And in this day and age, does that really surprise you. Unless you've been living under a rock, you must be aware of just how racially derrogatory this word is deemed to be. Further, the fact is that you could have not only been fired for this reason, you could have been discharged for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. The fact is that "at will" employment gives a company a great deal of discretion as to who to fire, when and why. That is unless you feel your treatment was some form of legally actionable discrimination, or if your employer's action violated company policy or the terms of a union agreement or employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption