filing taxes with my husband

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

filing taxes with my husband

If I file jointly taxes with my husband even though we live in different citys and it gets deposited in my account to I have to share half with him. He never supported me and wanted me to pay 200 a month to live in his house.. He made me pay 90 dollars a month for bills. My kids are not his and he wanted me to give them their child support. I refused. I have moved away from him to take care of my dying mom. Can I keep the money. thanks

Asked on February 11, 2017 under Family Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the funds are directly depositing into your account, then you have full access to the account to use any funds that are within the account.  Until a court order is in place, both spouses have access to any funds in their account.  If the funds come via a check, do not forge his signature, however.  If your sign his name while you are separated, then some prosecutor offices will consider this forgery...and thus a criminal offense.  So do not risk that liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption