UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My husbabd decide he wants to move out and
separate and leave me with all the household bills. We
moved into this house together to benefit him and
his job abd now he want iyt of the marriage. Is he
atill liable to help pay the bills? I do make mors than
him but ut takes both our income to pay all bills. Can
he be held accountable to still pay even when he

Asked on February 12, 2017 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that you are both equally liable to your joint creditorss  meaning that if your spouse does not make these payments, you are still liable for making them. Also, if certain bills are in your name only, your credit can be affected if you do not pay them. Further, as for any bills in your husband's name alone, if they aren't paid while your credit won't be affected, services such as electicity and gas can be shut off, so you will need to pay them. If you have no minor children and you make more than your husband, then the court will most likely be more lenient with him not contributing toward those expenses since he must find a new place in which to live. That having been said, if your case is one in which alimony will be ordered, contributing toward those expenses may be considered "alimony" and can reduce any alleged alimony arrearages in the future. At this point, you should consult directly with a divorce attormey in your area, they can best advise you further under specifc state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption