What is a car owner’s legal obligation to replace another that were funds stolen from their vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a car owner’s legal obligation to replace another that were funds stolen from their vehicle?

My previous roommate had my deposit money stolen from her car before she was able to get it to me. Now she is telling me that she cannot pay me. Although this is a terrible situation, I feel she still legally owes me the money.

Asked on September 30, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless she stole it, she has no obligation to replace the funds. One person is NOT liable for the criminal acts of other people: she is no more responsible for your funds stolen from her car then you would be responsible for murder if you threw a party and one guest stabbed another. A crime occuring in property (a vehicle or home) owned by a person does not make the property owner responsible, unless and only if he or she participated in, conspired in, assisted, etc. the crime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption