If my house was includedin mydischarge but it hasn’t been foreclosed on yet, am I safe to proceed with another house purchase?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my house was includedin mydischarge but it hasn’t been foreclosed on yet, am I safe to proceed with another house purchase?

Purchasing another home from a family member. Just want to make sure the lender of original home cannot proceed w/ legal action or try put some sort of garnishment or lean against the new purchase. Chapter 7 discharged 2 months ago.

Asked on February 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the mortgage was not reaffirmed and the house was surrendered in the bankruptcy then any deficiency in the sale of the house becomes an unsecured debt and it is considered discharged as well. I would, though, double check this in the paperwork that you have from your discharge just to be sure that all is as you say that it is and that it is as I say that it is.  On other words, call the attorney that helped you in the bankruptcy just to be sure.  The last think that you need is the old bank coming after you as you are trying to start a new financial life. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption