If I own 50% of my house, can the owner of the other 50% sell part of the original property without my consent?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own 50% of my house, can the owner of the other 50% sell part of the original property without my consent?

And can they profit off the property without giving me any of the proceeds?

Asked on September 24, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends on just how title was held. If it was as "joint tenants with rights of survivorship", then no the other owner could not sell a portion of the land  withour your consent. However, if it was held as "tenants in common", then yes, they could convey their share or a portion thereof without your consent.
You will need to check the deed. It should either say your names as "joint tenants with rights of survivorship" or it will just list the names without any designation which the law implies as tenants in common.
If you have any further questions, you can consult directly with a local real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption