fallen tree

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

fallen tree

tree fell on my car. I am renting this house. Tree is on the owner’s land.

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The first step is to contact the landlord and explain the situation. You will also want to review the terms of the lease just in case it spells out situations such as this one. If not than you may want to address the issue by explaining to the landlord what happened and seeing what they offer as a solution.

Did you ever mention the tree looked dangerous? Was it old and decaying? Was there obvious damage to it? If any of these are a yes and the landlord knew of the risks and did nothing you will have a good chance of them paying for the repairs.

However, a falling tree is often considered an "act of God" and the property owneris not responsible. Without additional information I cannot give you a definitive answer either way but you can re-post additional facts or I  would advise getting an estimate on the damage than contacting a local attorney who may be able to contact the landlord on your behalf and attempt to get the damage paid for. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption