Eviction of a disabled person. Mother built me a house next door to her to help her. She’s 73; I’m 50.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Eviction of a disabled person. Mother built me a house next door to her to help her. She’s 73; I’m 50.

The deed has my 2 sisters and Mother on there. The 2 sisters got jealous and are currently taking mom to court to take both houses and evict me. The 2 sisters are addicts (cocaine & Pot) and my mother does have some mental issues but I can deal with her. Also I helped build this house. It took 10 months. However I wasn’t able to work everyday because of my disabilities. Can my sister evict me if she takes my mom away. We help each other. They (sisters) just want the property to sell. Worth about $200,000.00.

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, are each of you mentally stable.  In other words, does someone else (like one or both of your sisters) care for you? The reason I ask is unless someone else has power of attorney over you or over your and the homes are not solely in your sisters' names, then no, they cannot simply evict you.  They cannot simply sell the home because of the deed.  Is the deed by your mom and sisters owned as joint tenancy or tenants in common?

Try consulting with an attorney at www.attorneypages.com and check his or her record at the Oklahoma State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption