What can I do if my employer is our terminating housing agreement without notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my employer is our terminating housing agreement without notice?

My husband’s employer provides housing as part of his compensation package. We were just informed today that the company plans on abandoning the building that we live in, and that we have to leave the premises within 2 days. Is this legal? We are completely blindsided by this and have no

idea what to do. We don’t have alternate housing, and it’s very difficult to secure housing in Hawaii. Not only that but it’s a non-profit company, so my husband doesn’t make much money, which is why they agreed to provide housing. We can’t afford to move. Is this undue hardship on their part?

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The issue really is only whether you have a written employment contract which guaranteed you the housing as part of compensation. If you do, it is enforceable in court: your husband could sue for breach of contract to force them to provide alternate equivalent housing or pay the reasonable fair market value of the housing you had been getting. Unfortunately, if you did not have a written employment contract, your husband's employment was "employment at will." This means, among other things, that the employer may change the terms of employment, including compensation--e.g. the provision of housing--at will, for any reason, without prior notice. Unfortunately, in the absence of a still-in-effect (unexpired) written contract for a definite or defined term (e.g. a one-year contract) all employment is employment at will and is under the employer's sole control. So without a contract, they could do this. The hardship on you and your family is, unfortunately, not a consideration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption