Employer refusing to pay me

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer refusing to pay me

I worked for a family as their nanny.
Unfortunately my hours were early and I
was late 2 days seperate weeks which
caused her to eventually be suspended.
I was let go of the position which I
understand and she told me she would
pay me for the day I had worked that
week. New Link Destination
day she told me she won’t be
paying me because of her lost time at
work. What can I do?

Asked on September 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you did the work, she must pay you for it, even if she was suspended. If she will not pay, you could sue her in small claims court, on a "pro se" (as your own attorney) basis, for the money. You would sue based on breach of contract, or violation of the agreement, even if only an unwritten or oral one, pursuant to which you worked in exchange for pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption