What can we do if an employer is not paying for work done?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if an employer is not paying for work done?

My daughter is working part time for a property management company showing apartments. The are 7 weeks behind on her paychecks about $1,100. She just got a small paycheck for the work she did last week. However, the large paycheck has not come, they told her it was put in the mail this was about 7 days ago. She just offered to come up to the office and pick up the check today but they said they will be out of the office. She has documentation stating all the above is true. They have never accused her of not performing or doing her job. Unfortunately he only has a verbal agreement that she would bet paid weekly but many of her paycheck have come weekly. What options do I have? Would a letter from a lawyer be a good next step? Since the amount is only $1,100 a lot to a young person just starting but not a lot to take legal action. She is such a hard worker, this one really has me ticked.

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter can file a wage claim with your state's department of labor and/or sue her employer in small claims court for any past due compensation. Additionally, a letter from an attorney couldn't hurt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption