employee law

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

employee law

My wife has worked for the same place for 38 years and now that they know she is going to retire they are starting to pick on her for minor issues that are causing her mental anguish to where she cries herself to sleep?

Asked on December 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF you believe that they are doing this due to her age being over 40, and not due to any other reason (such as because they are angry over her leaving, which is legal: no law prevents employers or coworkers from resenting employees who leave the business), and more importantly, believe you could prove that the harassment is due to her age, you (or rather, she) could file a complaint for illegal age-based harassment with the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency. She may be entitled to compensation for illegal harassment, thought unless the harassment is significant, the amount would be limited.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption