What rights does a step-parent have to visit a step-child?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights does a step-parent have to visit a step-child?

My husband is in prison. He has an 8 year old daughter from another woman. His daughter and I are very close. Her mother will not let me see her. I know that KS has step-parent rights but I don’t know exactly what they apply too.

Asked on January 22, 2011 under Family Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are correct to some degree. Kansas does have a statute that permits a step-parent to have visitation rights with a step child but that right is granted by a judge in the best interest of the child during the divorce of the step parent and the natural parent.  In other words, if you and your spouse were to get divorced you could petition the court to see her.  But here your rights to vistitation really flow from your husbands and if his are being limited then so are your.  I think that her Mother ha the right to deny her seeing you.  I am so sorry for your situation but at this point your hands are tied.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption