What are the legal risks of taking a minor and their baby out-of-state?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the legal risks of taking a minor and their baby out-of-state?

My girlfriend and her child are in TX under the decision of her mother. If I brought them back here to CO without the mothers consent what are the risks? Both my girlfriendand I are 16. I had been helping raise her child.

Asked on January 23, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In a word: great.  I am unsure what yiu mean by the "decision" of her mother.  Do you mean that the baby is under the care and custody of her grandmother (her daughter is always under her care and custody as an unemanicapted minor)?  Then permission would be needed to take them out of the state.  If you took them out of state without her consent (and I would go for written consent) then you would be facing kidnapping charges against you. It is admirable that you wish to help take care of them but until such time as things change I would help from afar or move to Texas.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption