Do I have to pay the 50% of a new fence installation without first having been consulted?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay the 50% of a new fence installation without first having been consulted?

I bought a house but was not living there due to renovation work. While I was still staying at my old apartment, my backside neighbor replaced the old fence. She never consulted with me about sharing the amount or showed me the estimate in advance. When I moved into the house, she just showed up with a bill of $3600 and asked me to pay 50%. I would have been happy to contribute, if she had the courtesy to ask me about it before doing the work.

Asked on April 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should refuse to pay for the fence because you did not have any contract or agreement with this neighbor to pay for the replacement of the fence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption