DoI have to file an enforcement motion in the same county in which my divorce was granted?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DoI have to file an enforcement motion in the same county in which my divorce was granted?

He is not paying court ordered spousal maintenance or other debts ordered. He lost his job last year but got a new job. He told me that he wasn’t making as much money anymore so he didn’t have to pay me. He took the house off the market which was to be sold and leased it without talking to me. I am on disability and have not been able to get a hold of legal aid. I can barely afford to pay bills and am getting to point of not doing that. He has good lawyer.

Asked on June 18, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Listen you may indeed qualify for help from legal aid and I think that it would be in your best interest to speak with them in this matter.  He is obviously violating a court's order.  How the courts in your area deal with that procedurally is really specific to the area.  In New York the party seeking to file the motion would file it in the court that retains jurisdiction after the decree was entered.  And many times a motion will indeed be referred back to a Judge that issued it.  You can also file for contempt against your ex husband, something that may land him in jail. But how to do this the best way for you strategically is best known to an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption