Do I have any rights to a house still in my name

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any rights to a house still in my name

I was awarded the house in my
divorce I had 90days to refinance
or it would go back to my x I never
signed the deed over he died they
are trying to sell the home but
can’t without me sighing it over
what rights do I have if any

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you violated the decree or decision in your divorce, your ex-husband's estate can take legal action to enforce it against you: they file a motion or bring a lawsuit (the exact procedure to follow varies by the precise circumstances) and seek a court order transferring the deed to the estate, and/or seek to have the court punish you (with fines; possible with imprisonment for "contempt of court") until you sign the deed over to the estate as you should have signed it over to him while he was alive. Since you had been ordered to refinance or sign the deed over, if you did not refinance, you must sign it over: what happens to the house was already decided, and the estate can enforce that decision against you if it chooses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption