Do I have a chance of getting full custody

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a chance of getting full custody

I have a 5 year old son who we have
established joint custody of, his father
has proven himself unfit attempted to
kill himself when child was supposed to
be in his care, multiple arrests for
assult, currently in anger management
classes. My son is starting to show
signs of aggression punching himself in
the face when mad or in trouble, also
his father has broken our agreement on
taxes in the custody agreement he has
falsely claimed him for 5 years when
it’s supposed to be every other year.
Among many other things. So I’m
wondering how much of a chance I have at
winning and if I have enough of a case
to take to court

Asked on November 21, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the Father has done as you say and you have a proven track record here, and you can prove that the situation is taking its toll on your son (take him to a therapist to talk with please) then you need to file a petition to modify the custody agreement asap.  I think you have a shot.  Get a good lawyer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption