What to do if an employee is being charged for stolen equipment?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an employee is being charged for stolen equipment?

About 19 days ago my car was broke into (window smashed) and everything was taken from me. Nothing was left in plane site in the car. I followed the verbal and handwritten rules of my job to the T. I was away from my car for less then one hour and nothing was left unsecure or overnight. I filed a police report and told my employer what happened. My employer now wants me to pay for the stolen equipment by taking over half of my paychecks for the next 4 months when the job closes. Until I sign the agreement the will not allow me work anymore.

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is legal if you do not have an employment contract protecting your employment; without a contract you are employee at will. An employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason--including that you are unwilling to pay the employer for a loss it believes you caused. You have the right to not pay--and your employer has the right to not employ you. You have to decide what makes sense for  you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption