How doI get a full refund from my townregarding a landscape bondif Icomplied with all requirements?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get a full refund from my townregarding a landscape bondif Icomplied with all requirements?

I recently built a new home in community that required a $1500 landscape bond. The mayor visited my home and approved the landscaping. However, after 6 weeks of calling for the status of the return of my bond, I finally received it and it was short $500. The mayor has been very difficult to deal with and my councilman isn’t helpful either. The mayor states that I didn’t plant enough shrubs and that’s why the check was short. There is no specific paperwork that states the requirement, only typical landscaping.

Asked on December 29, 2010 under General Practice, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

When you say that the Mayor visited your home and approved the landscaping what do you mean ?  Did he sign off on something or give you some document stating you were good to go?  Then you can rely on this document and I would do whatever you can to appeal the ruling as to the landscape.  You had no notice of the deficiency that they are alleging or the requirement for that matter.  Send a well written letter advising all of the above and referring to the documents that require the bond and any documents that dealt with the landscaping and be as specific as you can.  State that they have violated the agreement as it stands and that you request that the $500 be returned to you or you will seek Court intervention.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption