How can I get a divorce if I can’t find my husband?

UPDATED: May 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a divorce if I can’t find my husband?

My husband left over 5 months ago and was arrested in CO. He was in jail until today so I knew where he was. He was served the initial divorce papers over 2 months ago. I was told that the final papers could be served to him next month but that won’t happen now because he will disappear. Is there any way to get a divorce from this low life without putting out more money? How can I get a divorce if I can’t find my husband?I want nothing from the guy and I know he won’t come back to PA to see his kids because there’s a warrant out for him.

Asked on May 26, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your husband's whereabouts are unknown, he can be served by publication.  Service by publication is publishing the notice in the legal notices section of a newspaper.  Check with your court clerk to find out how long the notice has to run in the newspaper to be effective service by publication.  Service by publication is effective even if your husband doesn't see the notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption