If a car hit a bicyclist and no police report filed, can the bicyclist do anything about their injuries5 days later?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a car hit a bicyclist and no police report filed, can the bicyclist do anything about their injuries5 days later?

My girlfriend got in a car with a bicyclist in my vehicle. The bicyclist’s was thrown off the bike and the bike was damaged. Both parties agreed to not involve the authorities, not involve insurance, nor go to the hospital; they agreed about bike repairs. I paid for the repairs the same day. Now, 5 days later, the bicyclist is looking for my insurance information because of some X-rays that he received 2 days after. Do I owe him anything?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Personal Injury, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although you paid for the property damage to the bicycle, that property damage claim is separate from a personal injury claim.  Injuries from an auto accident do not necessarily manifest themselves immediately after the accident.  It is not uncommon for injuries from the auto accident to appear days, weeks or months later.  The bicyclist's personal injury claim may involve considerably more than the X-rays.  If the bicyclist needs additional treatment, when he completes his treatment and is released by the doctor, you would be liable for the medical bills, pain and suffering, and documentation of wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

It would be advisable to refer the matter to your auto insurance company.  Your auto insurance company will handle the case for you.  These cases are usually settled with the insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption