Can you re-open a criminal case after its been closed for a year?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you re-open a criminal case after its been closed for a year?

About 1 12 years ago. I was arrested for “dealing in stolen property”. I was working overnight in a gas station and was allowing my roommate to take food items without paying. I did this only twice adding up to a total of around 30-45 dollars. They caught one time on the security cameras. They ended up pressing charges and charged me with all the inventory losses for the 6 month period i worked there which was $4,000. I was not responsible for that but could not afford a lawyer at the time. I ended up with a felony instead of a misdemeanor. Can I re-open with a lawyer?

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you plead guilty or were found guilty at trial, then you can alwas appeal the conviction and seek post conviction relief. I'm assuming that's what you mean when you say "re-open" a criminal case. Speak with an attorney who handles criminal  appeals in your area for more information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption