Can an auto insurer decline a claim associated with an accident in which a minor with no license was the driver?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an auto insurer decline a claim associated with an accident in which a minor with no license was the driver?

My father had an accident yesterday at a parking lot. He was changing the tail lights of his vehicle and told his grandson ( a 12 year old) to get in the car and power it on. His grandson old powered on the car, set it in reverse and stepped on the gas. My father’s car ended up hitting 2 other cars and 1 of them had a person in it. Both my father and the person in the car that was hit were taken to the hospital. The insurance policy that my father carries is under my name. I am the owner of the insurance policy and my father is just listed as a driver. Can I or my father be sued?

Asked on April 1, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


Christopher Vaughn-Martel / VAUGHN-MARTEL LAW

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is quite possible that you will be called upon to compensate the injured parties or be sued.  Hopefully you have reported the incident to your insurance company?  You may also want to speak with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption