Can the police hold me to a contract if I was under the influence of drugs art he time that I entered into it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police hold me to a contract if I was under the influence of drugs art he time that I entered into it?

The police pulled me over for not using my blinker and asked to search the car. I let them and they

found a baggy of meth above my visor. I said that it wasn’t mine but they said that it was in my

car and since I was driving it, then it was mine. They took me in asked me to be a CI and had me sign a contract to help them get 3 people. I was high at time. Now I don’t want to do it but I still say that wasn’t my bag either.

Asked on February 1, 2018 under Criminal Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Any agreement entered into while you were provably not mentally competent (such as due to being high) may be voided--you can only enter into an enforceable agreement when mentally competent. Of course, if you don't perform as per the agreement and/or void it, the authorities will be free to ignore whatever leniency they may have agreed to and can prosecute you to the full extent of the law--such as for possession of meth and for having been using drugs (the reason you were high).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption